Monday, September 10, 2012

Traveling Psychologist - A Royal in Krakow


My friend turned to me, "the guide if you want to know Prince Charles?" I turned to the museum guide with a broad smile, "how do you dear boy?"

Poland is a destination that would not normally thought of as a place to go, but business is business and you go where it takes you. I was invited to a city called Katowice an industrial part of Poland, in the south. I arrived first at the capital Warsaw and then had to transfer a train down the country.

When I took the train I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was an old project manager style with smaller rooms like you see in old British films when the murder was a ladies foot and mysterious disappearance. I found an empty compartment and settled near the window watching the world go by - would be a long journey, but actually I like to travel by train so it was not too upset. After a short period of time the train left and I had entered the compartment by a poorly dressed man of about 30, I had to guess, and a young woman who somehow seemed so attractive girl of the village. A knock at our door and slid open to reveal the ticket control wear. I showed my ticket and began to chat with me in which I had no Polish. However with a little 'sign language and smiles and nods from the other passengers who have worked to sit near the window extra costs! So I slipped a place far away and he punched my ticket and left. What possible advantage was sitting by the window in terms of price in a train half empty? Yet I could see out of the carriage so it was not too off. The scenes are not welcome those nice, heavy industrial plants, warehouses, smoking chimneys and dirty looking skies with heavy black clouds of pollution make as much as the rain water. Among these scenes were depressing campaign shrub with black spots of land. This industrial era, Poland, with its factories and old-fashioned air pollution filled.

The man in front of me now try to talk to me in Polish. I assume that asking for my country and what my business was. Unfortunately, this exchange did not work very well and has begun to soften. I then produced a notebook and a pen. I drew a rough map of Europe and showed Poland, Russia and Germany - and then through some fine art drew off the coast of England. Her face lit up and started grinning. "Engerlander" he called out and the young girl's eyes widened in recognition. He started to pat my back with both hands and laughing out loud. Then he took a notebook and pen and drew a hillside cave with pick and shovel. At first I was not sure what he meant, but then came the dawn - was a miner. He showed me his hands, hard, rough and black. It 'amazing how two human beings can communicate with few signs and drawings. You feel like the first cave man trying to make sense of a stranger. I realized much later after talking to many people in English and Polish his happiness came from an historical basis. The Pole English to admire their position against Hitler in 1939 after holding their obligations under a treaty of protection in Poland going to war against Nazi Germany. Of course, since this time, Poland was under the yoke of Soviet control, and things have changed a bit 'in relations. When the train arrived in Katowice we shook hands and let go our separate ways never to meet or see each other again, but never forget a brief moment of friendship.

My activities in Katowice was more than an exercise in public relations and to find out if the business can be exchanged by the United Kingdom to Poland through the insurance and banking company and my brothers in England who made the shoes and pads for the automotive industry. Although we had several meetings and talks small felt much was accomplished so I decided I might as well see what I could of the country. My companions led me near Krakow, the most historic cities in Poland and the heart of their lost empire in history. Krakow Castle home of the museum and thought it would be a good starting point. Upon entering there is a large bell that if you're under and touch will bring you luck. Not being one to mock other peoples superstition I immediately had the obligatory photo at the bell. On entering the museum proper, I was very surprised by the amount of military history and the mighty strength, of course, that Poland must have influenced in the past, especially against the Russian Cossacks of the Plains, who fought and defeated on many occasions. Old uniforms, weapons and other objects were housed here for a nation once great. And 'with some surprise that modern Poland was kicked back and forth between the power of the Soviet Union and the Germanic nations for the last century.

After walking for an hour I noticed that I was getting some curious looks from other guests and in particular the guidance of the museum. I asked my friend if I was doing something I should not, but shrugged and went to ask the guide what was the problem. A moment later he was smiling from ear to ear. My friend turned to me, "the guide if you want to know Prince Charles? I turned to the museum guide with a broad smile," How are you dear boy? "Now you might think a little 'unwise not to deny it was Prince Charles, but my sense of the ludicrous got the better of me. For the next half hour and I was given the Royal tour, private rooms and exquisite objects shown . The museum guide kept bowing to me and I, of course, gave the nod of the head normal, not too much to be servile, but enough to show my new station in life as found lookalike Carlo. I suppose that looking back in My lightweight suit in a Prince of Wales check, and I have some bald head seemed to him like all the Chinese at first glance, like Chairman Mao. After taking leave of the guide and shaking his hand I asked him to sign the guest book. This was a bit 'difficult not to deny what I was, was one thing, but to fake a real signing was another. I wrote in the book, "Thank you for your kindness during my visit to your excellent museum and my family England will be notified of your goodness. "Signed, A Friend C.

That evening I had dinner with a business woman who has specialized in the production of clothing and took me to a nice restaurant in town. To me it looked like a place to two stars, but she assured me that this was the best place in town. Well, what do I know? After talking about business and the economy turned the conversation to the new found freedom in Poland after the revolution to oust the Communists who were the lackeys of Moscow. He spoke quietly of miners and dock workers who started the protests and as Lech Walesa had successfully guided the new policy of Poland. (At that time it had risen to dizzying heights of power). Being used by the West and for freedom of speech and not be afraid to have opinions that I mentioned in my normal voice. I noticed it was getting pretty nervous. I asked her if she was well and she smiled and said he was not accustomed to such discourse open and only a year before the waiter had already been on the phone with the secret police to report the conversation and foreign spy. They waited outside for us, it would probably be deported and I would just disappear. I understand and even his feelings of freedom, newly discovered, but with the past by pulling nerves wondering if it was true that they are now truly free. I watched the waiter busy serving drinks and waiting tables and wondered how his income had decreased over the last year, with no stories to tell, because no one was listening.

The morning I left my hotel and was collected by driving my car. We were on a special trip today to a place called Auschwitz - a concentration camp.

End .......

Professor Stephen F. Myler PhD (Psych)

Shanghai

Originally published by the Open University in England

Copywrite: S. F. Myler ......

No comments:

Post a Comment